Exploring Social Issues Through Literature

VOICES, VOICES, VOICES, VOICES, VOICES, VOICES, VOICES, VOICES


I have come to believe over and over again that what is most
important
to
me must be spoken, made verbal & shared, even at
the risk of
having it
bruised or misunderstood. That the speaking
profits me. . . . My
silences had
not protected me. Your silence will
not protect you.
What are the words you do not yet
have? What do you need to say?
I am myself — a Black woman warrior poet doing my
work — come
to ask you, are you doing yours?

------- Audre Lorde


LEAVE IT TO US

FOR BETTER TIME MANAGEMENT, FOR OPTIMAL PRODUCTIVITY: OUTSOURCE YOUR LITERARY PROJECTS TO K. C. AND ASSOCIATES

YOU DESERVE TIME TO SHINE!

CALL US NOW: 718-682-4142

Saturday, November 21

Memorable Maddie Moments

"Oh, no!" David said, pulling his foot out of Cora Mae’s filthy bathtub. Cora Mae explained, "That’s how she left it! Drawers on the flo, ring ‘round the tub, her ratty, old, wig hangin’ atop that hook---jus didn’t even try an’ fix her mess none. That’s how Maddie was. Called ha self free spirited; towns’ folk called her a harlot. Imagine! Maddie walkin ‘round town, head high, struttin’ an’ gyratin’ like a lady of status an’ virtue. Made me sad watchin’. So I did what nobody in Stoddardville woulda. I invited her fo weekend soirees---well, ‘twas really Bible studies. Made Maddie change after while! But still, Nobody was mo surprised than me when Sweet Willie Saunter swept Maddie up, married her and, next thang I knowed, Maddie lockin’ her arms ‘round my neck whisperin’, “Chile, ahm Pregnant!” Wit Maddie gone, I jus nevah used that tub no mo, Davie. You understan’?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well! It isn't often that I see pieces written in black vernacular. . . let alone microfiction. Not only has literature evolved but the black voice has metamorphisized in an astounding fashion

Unknown said...

Well I simply fell in love with Maddie. Her free spirit and unassuming ways will get further than any righteous society broad being manufactured other if late
NAMASTE Y'ALL

Unknown said...

This is a new genre? Microfiction, huh? I like it a lot.

About the Creator

My photo
CROWN HEIGHTS BROOKLYN, New York, United States
I am a forty-six year-old African-American writer passionate about exploring social issues through literature. It is through literature that I have experienced the pains, learned of the traditions and come to respect the rituals of many cultures different from my own. These valued moments of elucidation have increased my desire to be in service of those who may benefit from my efforts. This, my friends, is a step closer to bliss
Powered By Blogger